Monday, September 3, 2012

How I served my in-laws

My husband's parents drove in on Friday and-- after stuffing our freezer with delicious pierogi from one of Chicago's Polish supermarkets!--drove off again this morning, leaving us in a sort of post-visit malaise.  Today is for winding down, washing sheets, folding laundry, making applesauce... and yes, for blogging all about it!

Since these days we host family more than ever, I'm always interested in easy, economical meal plans that minimize time in the kitchen.  Just to throw some ideas out there-- here's what I served for dinner this weekend to a no-fuss, meat-and-potatoes type of couple.


Friday:  Minestrone  (Saute fresh garlic in oil, then add four cans of diced tomatoes; two cans of white beans; two "cans" [using the empty cans as a unit of measure!] water; two beef bouillon cubes; chopped celery; about 1/2 bag of frozen chopped spinach; and a cup of red wine. Bring to a boil, and then add 1/2 box of small shell pasta and cook for 10 minutes.)  ... with French bread, plus the rest of the wine


Saturday:  Taco pizza   (I whipped up the dough in my bread maker; pre-baked the crust at 425 degrees for five minutes; and then topped it with hot taco sauce, hot sausage, and mozzarella.   After baking at 425 for 10-15 additional minutes, I first sliced the pizza and then added crushed Doritos and grated cheddar.)   ... with a green salad


Sunday:  Slow-cooker pot roast  (4 lbs beef shoulder cooked on low for 8 hours, with mushrooms, peppers, and-- per Mrs. Thetimman's French dip recipe-- onion soup mix and one cup water.)   ... with a green salad and oven-roasted potatoes



What is your mealtime strategy for family weekends?  Any tips? 
 

11 comments:

  1. Don't get me wrong, nice post, but...

    When I saw the title, I imagined a Twilight Zone-type, "To Serve Man" post.

    But maybe you like your in-laws? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I was counting on that title to provoke curiosity. (Ran it by my husband, and he laughed!) Thanks, Timman!!

      Delete
  2. Ooh--everything you make is AWESOME, Rae! I'm going to have to try these recipes!

    What kind of pierogi?? We're still going to have our "Ethnic Night" sometime with you guys. You make the pierogi, I make the bierocks! :-)

    One of the saddest things about going on the diet in March was having to give up the cheese pierogi I had gotten used to making once a week! Sooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Delena-- my cooking notebook is filled with your recipes (including pizza crust, pita bread, flour tortillas)!!

      My in-laws brought a variety of pierogi, including chicken, pork, cheese, mushroom, and some fruit-filled "dessert" types-- so we could have a terrific Ethnic Night in the near future. Can't wait to try the legendary bierocks!!

      Also, you were making pierogi much more often than I ever did! I should ask for your dough recipe. :) My grandmother's is simply egg and flour, but for my results can never equal hers.

      Delete
    2. Well, I DO know the recipe is authentic since it came from Mrs. Barrett's mother--whose last name was Sokolowski! :-) I'll give it you!

      Delete
    3. Pierogi dough is all about function. :) Thanks, Delena!

      Delete
  3. I made the minestrone for dinner tonight, it was very good. Definitely a "keeper". Thanks for sharing! Christine in MO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, THANKS!! This makes my day!

      (My husband reminds me that I usually add two beef bouillon cubes to the minestrone. When I forget, he ALWAYS notices... So I'm editing accordingly. For him. :) )

      Again, thank you for your encouraging comment!

      Delete
  4. Yum! Now I'm hungry! (And the title made me laugh!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I owe you a phone call. Hope that everyone's well!!

      Delete
  5. Ooh. I forgot to answer the question you posed in your post about what I make for family weekends.

    Two words: Taco Salad.

    I have this huge silver bowl my grandmother used and gave to me, and I fill that bad boy up with lettuce, cheese, hominy, corn, black beans, cheese, tomatoes, cheese, green onions, spinach, hamburger...and cheese.

    I then make a sauce consisting of:

    1 cup mayo (NOT Miracle Whip)
    1 cup buttermilk (or milk with a splash of apple cider vinegar in it)
    1 Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing mix packet
    taco sauce

    Mix it together until it's Spicy Ranch Goodness.

    ReplyDelete