Wednesday, February 20, 2013

A Menu That Worked

Since I'm always interested in easy meal plans with lots of make-ahead components, I thought I'd share the menu from a recent afternoon get-together that I thought worked particularly well.  As you'll see, it's slow-cooker heavy, since-- lazy as I am-- I now own two of these workhorses!

In my small slow cooker Spinach and Artichoke Dip (8 oz cream cheese; 2 cups grated mozzarella; 1 can of artichoke hearts, drained of course; and 1 bag frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry.  Combine in the slow cooker and heat on "low"-- stirring every now and then--until it's all nicely melted.)  I assembled this about an hour before our guests arrived, and set out crackers, a serving spoon, small plates, etc., so that they could help themselves directly from the slow cooker.

In my large slow cooker: Pot Roast  This was a 6-lb beef chuck roast that I cooked overnight (12 hours) on "low" along with a cup of red wine; a can of beef broth; a package of frozen mixed peppers and onions; and (key) the drippings from at least six strips of bacon, which I also crumbled into the pot.  In the morning I added extra seasonings to taste, including paprika, caraway seed, salt, and a couple tablespoons of sour cream.

In the ovenSlow-Roasted Tomatoes ...  Wow.  Last month I'd never even heard of this dish, and now I'm convinced that it's the perfect make-ahead side for wintertime!  Following this recipe from the most recent issue of Cooking Light, I baked plum tomato halves overnight in a 200-degree oven.  The next morning, I was able to chill them and later-- just before dinner-- reheat them, adding a sprinkle of mozzarella and fresh basil.  The taste was intensely rich, complimenting the pot roast so well; moreover, the (scant) leftovers reheated nicely on the next day, too, without any apparent change in texture or moisture.  I'm definitely making this again!

On the stovetopMashed Potatoes, which I'd boiled the previous night, ready for day-of mashing with butter and cream ... and Steamed Asparagus, just a quick three minutes in a steamer basket.

Bread and Butter, of course; and then:

Dessert #1 A guest asked "what to bring?" and I pounced on the offer!  She made a marvellous homemade Apfelkuchen-- and hopefully she'll also post the recipe on her blog, as I thought it absolutely perfect: light and mildly (not cloyingly) sweet.   I just couldn't stop cutting slices for myself!

Dessert #2 (and I might also label this "In the Refrigerator") I'd made a batch of Rote Grütze, a wonderful German berry dessert-- sort of a thick compote served with heavy cream-- which I love, love, love!  A German military wife hooked me on it last year, after which it became one of my go-to recipes.  And it's so simple!  While this version (also easy) calls for fresh fruit and cornstrach, I only stewed a large bag of frozen mixed berries and a small bag of frozen cherries together (with just enough water to cover) in a large pot; slightly thickened the mixture with a package of vanilla cook-and-serve pudding; and then added just a tablespoon of sugar.  I then chilled it overnight, and served it in bowls with a small pitcher of heavy cream... and wished that I didn't have to share!

As you'll note, I could do most of the work on the previous night, after children were in bed.  At that time I set up the pot roast, which began to cook shortly before midnight; prepped the tomatoes and put them in the oven to roast overnight; boiled the potatoes; and made the Rote Grütze.  On the morning of the get-together, all that I really had to do was throw the spinach-artichoke ingredients in a crock pot; season the pot roast; mash the potatoes; slide the tomatoes back into the oven; and steam the asparagus.  ...Yes, plenty of time left to stress over a wrinkled tablecloth and try to match the napkins (a losing battle)! 


I'd love to see examples of your successful menus!  If you have a post or an idea to share, please leave me a note in the comment box... And as always, thank you!  Although married for over eleven years, I still feel like a novice when it comes to entertaining.

2 comments: