Wednesday, March 20, 2013

In which I weigh in on a crucial matter

Back from New Orleans.  And so...  who offers the better beignet, Cafe du Monde or Cafe Beignet?  (I'm told that this is a French-Quarter controversy-- and there's no need to convince me of its importance!  Why on earth would I trivialize donuts and cafe au lait?)

Despite warm feelings for Cafe du Monde, which (back in 2005) was almost our first stop after a night stranded in the Houston airport, I have to admit that... oh yes, I prefer Cafe Beignet!  The beignets are larger, more pillowy, less chewy.  Also, the atmosphere of the Royal Street location is far more tranquil and "cafe-like" than Du Monde's long lines, crowded tables, and rushed service.

I offer this review with confidence, having sampled both products at different times of day, different days of the week, etc....!  Time to "weigh in," in another sense.

PS:  While it isn't part of the beignet scene, I wanted to further comment that, in my opinion, Royal Blend Coffee and Tea doesn't live up to its online hype.  That "elegant" courtyard is ill-kept (cigarette butts, dead leaves, general shabbiness) and, at the time of my visit, crowded.  Inside, it was a standard hole-in-the-wall coffeehouse, with a decent French roast and muffins wrapped in plastic.  No chicory coffee, to my disappointment...  While I'd planned to sit and read for a while, in the end I stayed for only ten minutes.

PPS:  Yes, this is the sort of thing that I think about!  Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment