Tuesday, March 5, 2013

A Modest Post

Interesting-- today my blog roll juxtaposes two very different posts addressing the sexualization of the female body.  St. Louis Catholic discusses the meaning of modesty (and the crucial role of prudence therein), with a comments section that continues the skirt v. pants debate; while Tween Us fills me in on the marketing of lingerie-- yes, lingerie!-- to pre-adolescents.  (And, much as my toddler girls exhaust me at times, right now I just want them to stay at ages 1 and 2 forever.)

My first reaction?   That I might be a lot more worried about ladies in slacks if I hadn't just read about eleven-year-olds in padded bras...!

My second reaction?   ...That (trite observation) these are interdependent issues.  We women are all unduly pressured to present ourselves as "sexual," and sadly pre-teen girls are also receiving-- and internalizing-- these messages.   Yay Feminism, huh?  (Actually, the early feminists would be fuming!)

Third (and still more trite)?  The female body is such a lightening rod for debate! Always.

But... interesting discussions, don't you agree?  Especially when read together.



And btw, while I think that skirts are lovely and feminine, I live in jeans.  Mom jeans.


1 comment:

  1. Glad I'm not the only one living in a good pair of pants!

    ReplyDelete