Friday, March 22, 2013

Our Lady of Prompt Succor


[Photo: Roman Catholic Saints]

Our visit to the Old Ursuline Convent at New Orleans has interested me in the city's patroness!  NOLA Catholics credit Mary, Our Lady of Prompt Succor, with delivering the Ursuline convent from fire in 1812 and saving the city from British capture in 1815.  I hear that she also was invoked in Katrina's aftermath...  If you like, you can read more of her story at the website of her National Shrine, as well as at Roman Catholic Saints (which also posts a litany in her honor).
"Sweetheart"
[Photo: Ursuline Academy]

Museum labels at the convent also tell of a small plaster statue, known as "Sweetheart,"that played an important role in Our Lady's intercession.  For more detail, please see the Ursuline Academy website (scroll down to "Sweetheart Statue").

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although it's nothing in comparison with citywide disaster, this matter has me praying for some resolution, ASAP!  (Of course, waiting is supposed to help me develop the virtue of patience, etc.-- but we're still on pins and needles here.)

Help me to expand my perspective!  Are there any intentions that you'd like me to include in my prayers for "Prompt Succor"?  Please let me know in the comment box.

No comments:

Post a Comment