Thursday, March 28, 2013

Just in time!

For a stretch in my childhood, our Easter celebrations always included a lamb cake.  Did yours?

Nowadays, I find it surprising that one can't just go to Walmart and pick up one of these molds... I mean, even a purely secular celebration usually involves some sort of baby-animal imagery, right?  Is the American public so allergic to religious allusions that stores can't market even the vaguest "Lamb of God" reference?  While I've seen $100 molds at antique shops, I've yet to find a brand-new version on the shelves of a national retail chain.

(Alternatively, it may be that lamb cakes-- like butter molded in the shape of a lamb-- are specific to Polish or Eastern European traditions, and I never noticed because I grew up in a heavily ethnic suburb?  For example, I once thought that everyone went to church on Holy Saturday for the blessing of Easter baskets, and learned only in adulthood that this is a uniquely Polish-American practice...)

Anyway, I went online.  And yesterday-- just in time-- our lamb mold arrived! 





The brand is Nordic Ware.  We'll be baking soon, so I'll tell you how it goes!

...Oh yes, and at the last moment I'd added this Christmasy bundt mold (also by Nordic Ware) to my order:




It's meant to substitute for a constructed gingerbread house.  Online reviews claim that, despite all of those intricate crevices, the cake just slides right out-- so eventually, we'll see.



1 comment:

  1. I think it's just my computer, but I can't get the picture of the lamb mold. (The fact that I can see the one for Christmas, though, seems like a good metaphor for my difficulty focusing on the present.) Any chance you'll post a photo of the actually lamb cake? I'm being lazy and having Megan decorate a cake with Peeps.

    ReplyDelete