Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Slow-Cooker Sunday: A New Family Tradition

Until recently, the slow cooker had always struck me as a rather pointless gadget:  after all, unless you worked outside the home, why would you invest in a device that took eight hours to accomplish what a Dutch oven could do in three or four?  Moreover, it couldn't reduce a liquid down to the silky, rich sauce that I expected in a pot roast or stew; and its throw-everything-in-and-walk-away method seemed to leave no room for creativity... So for years I skipped all of those slow-cooker recipes, confident that there was really nothing in them to miss.

Until recently.  To my shock, that once-despised slow cooker has actually proved itself...!

You see, on Sundays our family assists at Tridentine Mass (Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite) in the city 35 miles from our home, and-- depending on traffic-- it can take us anywhere from 35 to 50 minutes to reach the church. Once Mass ends, we're hungry; the babies are both tired and (despite take-along snacks) hungry; and we still must face the long commute home.  It's a problem.

In pre-parenthood days, my husband and I loved to follow Mass with a leisurely brunch at one of the downtown restaurants; and even when our eldest first came along, we still could usually sneak in 40 minutes or so at a family-friendly establishment.  When our second child arrived in January, however, that option was shot.  There was no enjoying a sit-down meal with two frazzled little ones to manage!  ...And so, we began pulling into Sonic for a quick meal of burgers, hot dogs, chicken fingers, and tater tots.  I'd squeeze between carseats in the back of our sedan, where I could give the infant her bottle (if necessary) while handing the toddler bits of chicken and greasy fried potato.

Needless to say, this arrangement was less than ideal.

On a whim, I picked up a seven-quart Crock Pot (with visiting family in mind?) at Walmart on a Saturday, along with 3lbs of pork shoulder and some barbeque sauce.  At eight the next morning I loaded meat, vegetables, and sauce into the thing, turned it on "high," and ran upstairs to go back to bed prepare for Mass...  "I hope it doesn't burn the house down," my husband said as we drove away-- late, as usual.  (Mea culpa.)

But when we returned home, the smell was amazing-- and the pork was tender and savory.  We could sit down to our meal almost immediately, no fuss, with naps to follow... Leisure restored!  I was sold.

Since then, we've experimented with beef sirloin on two successive Sundays (not as tasty, since it really needs more cooking time); and this past Sunday, we tried this worthwhile Food Network recipe for pork carnitas.  In the interest of time, I initially skipped the final "crisping" step, but tried it on the next day's leftovers-- and we both found that it elevated the ok to the sublime!  (Please don't forget the "crisping" step!  It creates those flavorful brown bits...)

Humbled, I now ask-- do you have a favorite slow-cooker recipe? 

16 comments:

  1. I have a cookbook called "Slow Cooker Revolution" on my shelf in the kitchen. I've been planning to get a larger slow cooker myself, but have not gotten around to it. I think about buying one and then I forget. I'll bring the cookbook when we visit again. I think it'll be fun looking through the recipes and trying some out. You've inspired me to go and get my own 7 quart slow cooker!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks-- it would definitely be fun to experiment!! Btw, I'm already thinking about buying a smaller crock pot for dips, sides, morning oatmeal, etc... (Funny, how owning one of these gadgets makes another seem necessary!)

      Delete
  2. "I hope it doesn't burn the house down," my husband said as we drove away.

    Your husband is like many men. I too tend to unplug all appliances, TV, video recorder, washing machine etc ... before we leave the house. We can never record a TV program because ... guess what ... the TV and video recorder are unplugged. The only thing that remains plugged in is the fridge. Somehow, don't know why, I trust the fridge !!!

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor~ I can never leave the house without a sudden conviction that the stove is still on, the back door is unlocked, or the garage door did not close properly...! And sometimes I swing right back into the driveway to double-check. Going out is quite a procedure, isn't it?

      I hope that you're having a wonderful day!! Thanks for visiting and commenting.

      Delete
  3. I have a couple crock pot recipes that are big hits with our family of 9 and are easy to make -- French Dip and Chicken Enchilada Chili. The first one I made for friends who just had a baby and it is known in their family as "THE Recipe". :-)

    Sharon (aka Mrs. thetimman)



    French Dip for Crockpot

    2 1/2-3 lb boneless chuck roast
    1 package dry onion or mushroom-onion soup mix
    1 can beef broth

    Place roast in bottom of crock pot. In separate bowl, stir together the soup mix and broth; pour over top of roast. (You may want to add a small amount of water to make the liquid nearly cover the roast, but keep in mind how big your crock pot is. You don't want the juices too watered-down!)

    Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Remove roast from crock pot and cut off (& discard) large pieces of fat. Return meat to crock pot and, using a ladle or potato masher, press and twist the meat to break into smaller pieces.

    Serve on your favorite rolls. (For extra flavor, you may want to dip the insides of the bread into the juices before putting on the meat.)


    Chicken Enchilada Chili for Crockpot (serves 6 adults)

    1 1/2 lbs chicken (boneless & skinless OR pick out the bones after 4 hrs of cooking)
    1 1/2 cups enchilada sauce
    2 stalks celery, chopped
    2 (14.5 oz) cans tomatoes (with or without seasonings)
    2 (15 oz) cans pinto or kidney beans, undrained (or 1 cup pinto beans soaked overnight)
    1 onion, diced
    1-2 tsp chili powder
    1 tsp cumin

    Pour enchilada sauce and tomatoes into bottom of slow-cooker. Add all other ingredients, except chicken, and stir to combine. Place chicken pieces on top.

    Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours. You may need to break apart the chicken (or fish out bones, if you didn't use boneless chicken) before serving. Serve with cheddar cheese or sour cream, if desired.

    (** My family loves this as Nachos -- simply fill a plate or bowl with tortilla chips and pour the chili over the top, along with lots of cheddar cheese. Highly recommended, especially for leftovers!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness-- THANK YOU, Sharon!! I can already tell you that my husband will ask me to make that French dip recipe ASAP. The chicken enchilada chili also sounds so delicious and easy to make! I think that next week's meal plan has just become livelier... I'll be sure to tell you how it goes!

      Thanks again-- and my greetings to TheTimman!!

      Delete
  4. YUM! Now I'm hungry :)
    I have to confess to having some slow cooker fails in my day, but I have had great success with this favorite recipe that I got off Pinterest

    Hawaiian Crock Pot Chicken

    4 -6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
    1 (16 1/2 ounce) can crushed pineapple
    1 (16 1/2 ounce) bottle Archer Farms Hawaiian style barbecue sauce (found at Target)

    Place breasts in crock pot, pour pineapple on top of chicken and then pour sauce over all. Cook on low for 6 hours.

    If I remember correctly, Rae, you like spicy food. My ridiculously bland Ohio-born palate thought that the Archer Farms sauce had a little bit of a kick. I don't think it would bother you but not sure it is little person-friendly and wanted to toss it out there.

    Bon appetit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another great one-- THANK YOU, Shannan!! The different flavors will be so refreshing, and it's all incredibly easy to put together... Since our toddler already eats my lentil soup and refried beans (spicy!), I'll run this one by her, too, and we'll see what she thinks. (Btw, she loves pineapple!)

      Thanks again, and our best to lovely Meg!

      Delete
  5. Hi Rae, thanks for stopping by my blog. I have been anti-crockpot as well. I still don't own one. But when I read a post like this, I feel myself weakening. It seems too good to be true. Good for you for making it to the Tridentine mass with two little ones. We gave up with our son. He even cried once when he heard we were going to Latin Mass. I am looking forward to reading more of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting!! We'll see how the TLM goes as they grow older. We do plan to continue-- but, if there's anything motherhood has taught me, it's "never say never." (I used to say that my children would "never" watch TV. That's a good one, right? :) ) As it is now, the narthex is so full of toddlers that I sometimes worry they're having TOO much fun... Thanks again. You and your family will be in our prayers!

      Delete
    2. PS: Of course, "never say never" has to have limits! But I'm picking my battles a lot more than I ever anticipated.

      Delete
  6. I've decided to fall in love with my slow cooker over the past year or two...after receiving it as a wedding gift 17 years ago LOL! I want something that doesn't always include cream of "something" soup. I want some real bones int here. Recently, I found some FANTASTIC slow cooker recipes and posted them on my blog. You know, I've always been afraid of baby back ribs until just a few weeks ago? Slow cooker easy and delicious! Keep sharing those great recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patty, thank you for stopping by!! I'll be sure to check your blog for the recipes... I've never done baby back ribs (LOVE them!), so I'm excited by this opportunity.

      Thanks again-- and happy half birthday to little Clementine!! She's such a cutie.

      Delete
  7. http://momster.familycircle.com/blog/category/columns/slow-cooker-chronicles-hot-topics

    I saw this Slow Cooker Chronicles website and had to pass it on to you. Hope there are some good ones on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shannan-- I'll check it out! I hope that you and Meg had a great weekend!

      Delete
    2. Thanks again for thinking of me.

      Delete